Play Avalon Gold At These Slot Sites
About This Slot
ELK Studios roll out their very own heroic adventurer once again for another ‘Gold’ slot. Kane, as we know him, this time enters the realms of Celtic and Old English mythology, as he journeys to Avalon. This is a mythical place where King Arthur’s Excalibur sword was forged and where he went to heal after battle.
Kane’s latest journey follows ones to place as varied as Katmandu (Katmandu Gold), South Africa (Zulu Gold), the Wild West (Black River Gold), and the Louisiana Swamps (Voodoo Gold). However, the backdrop changes the format of a Kane slot is familiar – high risk gameplay, expanding reels and giant symbols alongside free spins and multipliers.
Avalon Gold is no exception and the maths, as we shall see, promises a rough ride!
The backdrop is a Celtic church, with weirdly luminescent green light flooding the scene. Stone pillars frame a 6-reel grid populated by stone tablets displaying various Celtic and Arthurian imagery.
This slot is due for release in November 2022 when it will be available at all the best UK slot sites. Now read on to find out how the game works, and how to unlock those wins!
RTP, Variance and Top Payout
Like all other slots featuring Kane, Avalon Gold is a high-risk game. Be warned, it takes no prisoners! Here are the key numbers to know:
- ELK present Avalon Gold as a high variance game – wins are unevenly distributed and playing presents a higher risk to reward than low or medium variance slots.
- This is off-set of course by a stunning 25,000x top win that puts Avalon Gold right up there with the highest paying high variance slots available right now.
- The RTP of Avalon Gold is 94%, one of the few weaknesses in this slot. The average for UK slot is around 96%.
- You can spin from 20p per play.
Symbols and Graphics
With a regal flair, ELK have created a well-crafted set of symbols mixing royal and celtic imagery. Here are the highlights of the paytable:
- Avalon Gold is played out on a 6 reel grid with 4 rows that increase up to a maximum of 8 with consecutive avalanche wins.
- Wins are paid for three or more identical symbols dropping anywhere on adjacent reels from left to right, starting with reel 1.
- This means the game starts with 4,096 paylines but may increase to as many as 262,144 when all 8 rows are in play (8x8x8x8x8x8).
- The low-pay symbols are the cards, Jack through to Ace with a max of 0.3x for six on a payline.
- Mid-level symbols are the four Celtic symbols – snakes, wolves, birds and the mask – with a max payout of 1x for six on a line.
- There are also TWO premium symbols displaying the hero, Kane, which pay out up to 5x for six on a payline.
- Look out as well for Wilds, which sub in and expand to full row height, and Mystery Boxes, which activate when five are visible, and the scatter, which activates Free Drops.
What We Like
High top prize of 25,000x
Mystery Boxes persist in free spins
Safety level guarantees more rows
Ethereal theme and artwork
What We Don't Like
Low RTP of 94%
Gameplay and Features
Avalon Gold slot is simply FEATURE-PACKED! There are many ways to enhance your wins. Here is how they work:
Avalanche Wins With Expanding Reels
After every winning drop the winning symbols are removed from the reels and replaced with new ones. Each time this happens, a new row is added to the reel set, up to a maximum of 8 rows high.
After the Avalanche sequence ends, the reels return to 4 rows high.
Avalon Gold also delivers super-sized symbols of 2×2, 3×3 or 4×4. They may be standard symbols or mystery boxes. And in the event that a gap opens below a big symbol, an identically-sized one will drop into the space left behind.
Wilds, Gold Frames and Expanding Wilds
Wilds are an important component in this game, subbing in for any pay symbol to form a win line when they drop onto the grid.
But in other circumstances they also expand …
When a pay symbol appears on the grid with a gold frame around it, it has magical qualities – any spaces that open-up ABOVE the gold-framed symbol are GUARANEED to be filled with Expanding Wilds.
Mystery Boxes and The Avalon Bonus
Mystery Boxes are key to getting the most out of Avalon Gold. They deliver instant win value coins and multipliers. Here is how they work:
Mystery Boxes appear at random on the reels in base game and free drops round. They remain closed and just block any drops above them until FIVE exist on the reels at the same time. When this happens, each one will open to reveal either a symbol from the paytable or a wild, or it will trigger an Avalon Bonus, which is one of the following:
- A coin appears from the box with a multiplier value – multiply the value by the win from this feature.
- A multiplier appears to be applied to your wins from the feature.
- A swiper adds 10 to the value of the coin that appears by adding a ‘1’ in front of it. So, if it was a 5, it becomes a 15.
- If a Collector is revealed, then it collects the value of ALL the coins from the boxes.
- A Re-drop triggers another drop in which the Mystery Boxes are guaranteed to re-open.
Free Drops With Persistent Mystery Boxes and Re-Triggers
Avalon Gold scatters are needed to unlock the Free Drops round as follows:
- 3 scatters: 10 free drops
- 4 scatters: 15 free drops
- 5 scatters: 20 free drops
- 6 scatters: 25 free drops
Now your gameplay is enhanced to give you more chance of scoring the big wins.
Firstly, the Mystery Boxes STICK between free spins until activated. Then, a ‘Safety Level’ is active. This effectively locks the number of rows in play at the level set in the last avalanche sequence. So, if you had 5 active rows from your first spin, your second spin starts at five active rows again.
i.e. the number of rows does NOT re-set between free spins.
This gives you the chance to start at a high level of paylines. Remember, when 8 rows are active, 262,144 paylines are in play.
Finally, it is possible to trigger more free spins at the same values as before. So 6 more scatters would get you 25 more free drops!
NOTE: The X-iter Bonus Buy feature is not available in the UK.
More Games Like Avalon Gold Slot
Here are some other recommendations for those who like the sound of Avalon Gold.
Pacific Gold – If you enjoy spending time with the adventurer Kane then you can join him on a mysterious Pacific island where treasures are hidden. Once again, the action takes place on a 6 reel grid with 4 rows expanding to 8 after avalanche wins. The top win is much lower here – at 10,000x – but the RTP is higher at 95%. The variance remains HIGH! One of the most exciting features is the Pacific Wave of symbols up to 1×4 high that sweep across the reels and leave wild symbols behind.
Katmandu Gold – Of all the Kane slots, this is perhaps the best-looking, set in the mountains of Nepal with an epic, sweeping backdrop. It also plays out on 6 rows with Avalanche Wins at the heart of the action. Look out for the Ice Climber feature: Wilds and Premiums always replace other symbols above the ice climber. Wins are topped at 10,000x again, but the RTP is preferable to Avalon Gold at 96.2%.
Where to Avalon Gold – Further Recommendations
Looking for somewhere new to play Avalon Gold. Try these recommendations:
Play OJO – A favourite casino of ours, OJO sets its stall out as being the ‘fair’ slot site due to its policy of never setting wagering requirements for free spins offers. They also have a massive selection of over 2,500 slots. Join today and you’ll get 50 free spins with your first deposit. OJO is on the Skill on Net platform and licensed by the UK Gambling Commission.
Slot Nite – One of the White Hat Gaming group of sites, Slot Nite is renowned for offering over 2,000 slots to play, including the full suite of ELK Studio games. You’ll get 100 bonus spins with your first deposit to try NetEnt games, and deposits are accepted on Paypal and Trustly as well as standard debit cards.
The trick with building a slots franchise is to keeping moving things forward and changing-up the gameplay to keep your audience interested and avoid stagnation.
The good news is that is exactly what we get from ELK Studios here. We are 8 slots into the Kane / Gold journey and there is a clear path of evolution throughout the series. Elements will stay the same – the Avalanche Wins are always central, expanding the reel set with each consecutive win. And super-sized symbols are a common motif too. But there is always something new as well. In this case, the Mystery Boxes concept is different to the Ghost Boxes found in Pacific Gold and the Avalon Bonus is a new feature entirely.
The trick to landing big wins in Avalon Gold will be unlocking the free spins round as always. Once there, the persistence of the Mystery Boxes which won’t drop away and continue to release prizes throughout, and the safety level which gets you close to the top level of paylines with each spin, give you maximum chance of getting close to that 25,000x top payout.
Our only misgiving about this slot is the mysteriously low RTP which suggests less value for money. But that aside, Avalon Gold promises to be another excellent addition to ELK’s adventurer series.