About This Slot
Alice in Wonderland has been the inspiration for many slots over the years, not least of course the Megaways™ monster that is White Rabbit. The psychedelic narrative and colourful characters always make for a good backdrop and symbols for the reels and Pragmatic Play have used them to build a fun and colourful 243 payline slot here.
Overall the gameplay has a definitely traditional feel to it – 5 reels, 3 rows and a classic Wheel feature to unlock fixed jackpots and free spins. If you like classic slots then you’ll love Queenie – the design is a bit unadventurous but overall the classic layout and gaming style makes this immediately accessible and easy to play.
RTP, Variance and Top Payout
Queenie is a high variance slot with a 96.51% RTP and a 25p minimum bet. That makes it one for the risk takers out there. You will be able to burn through your funds in no time so so it makes sense to feel confident in your bankroll before settling in for a long gaming session. The best bonus feature here is the Jackpot Bonus game, where you have the chance of pocketing the top prize of 4,200x stake.
Symbols and Graphics
Wins on Queenie are triggered by landing three matching symbols across any of the 243 paylines from left to right. The low value icons are the cards, 9 through to Ace, which award 1x stake for 5 of a kind.
The picture symbols are the premiums, all related to the story of Alice in Wonderland. You’ll find a pocket watch, crown, top hat, white rabbit and Queen of Hearts, awarding from 2x to 10x your bet for 5 of a kind. The design is more grown-up than the usual cartoon Wonderland style found in other games and there’s also an element of darkness about the atmosphere.
There is a red heart symbol that appears on reels 2, 3 and 4 and this can trigger the Wheel Feature. The red heart also acts as a Wild symbol, which means it can substitute for the other symbols in the game to create more potential wins.
What We Like
Alice in Wonderland theme
Dark, rich graphics
Regular Feature Wheel Triggers
FOUR fixed JPs
Free spins re-triggers
What We Don't Like
Looks a bit dated
Gameplay and Features
The features integrated into the gameplay are pretty old-skool so don’t expect anything too innovative. Wilds, Wheel Spins and Free Spins are what it’s all about. Here are how those prize triggers can work to deliver the best payouts:
- WILDS are key – this big, red heart will cause the Wheel Feature to trigger randomly when it lands – but remember, not EVERY time it lands.
- When the WHEEL spins, there is the chance to land a cash prize of between 8x and 200x; a random multiplier of 2x to 100x; random wilds on reels 2, 3, 4 or 5; Free Spins; or a Jackpot Bonus.
- If you trigger FREE SPINS then the number of spins is equivalent to the number shown on the reel. During free spins, the wild ALWAYS triggers the Wheel Feature. In this way you can re-trigger free spins.
- Finally, the JACKPOT BONUS on the wheel can unlock fixed jackpots. Here, playing cards will cover the screen, and clicking each one will reveal a reward. You need to uncover THREE matching values to win a prize. The FOUR jackpots are labelled Mini – 20x, Minor – 50x, Major – 200x, and Grand – 4,000x.
- NOTE – In the Jackpot Bonus round there are random BOOST cards which enhance your prize from 5x up to 800x when revealed!
Queenie is a traditional slot in many ways and fans of modern games with more bells and whistles might feel that it is a bit dated, especially when compared with sophisticated games with the same timeless Alice theme, such as White Rabbit from Big Time Gaming. Nevertheless, the Alice story is timeless and Pragmatic Play’s grown-up approach, less cartoon-style and more dark atmosphere, at least steer things in an alternative graphical direction.
The Wheel Feature looks great and gives the chance to trigger many different bonus prizes, from cash and Multipliers to Free Spins and the Jackpot Bonus. The best payout will come from hitting the Grand Jackpot of course, but there are plenty of other ways to pocket a decent prize during regular gameplay, as multipliers and free spins hit fairly regularly.
Overall this is a solid slot with interesting bonus features, though the volatility and relatively high minimum bet could be off-putting to lower rollers. It’s not the best choice out there for payout potential, but if you’re into the retro styling, high volatility and darker Wonderland theme, this could see you grinning like a Cheshire cat.