About This Slot
Stargate Megaways is a new release from SG Digital (soon to become Light and Wonder) based in Las Vegas, Nevada. SG Corporation is one of the giants of casino gaming, responsible for some legendary online slots, from the famous Raging Rhino Megaways, the only Asian Jin Ji Bao Xi, to the iconic online slots in the Rainbow Riches series.
Although not considered highly innovative, SG Digital creates slots with balanced maths models, as seen in Stargate Megaways. Based on the 1994 sci-fi film Stargate, this cascade video slot has 6 reels and a curved top reel with 4 symbols, generating 2 to 7 rows from 324 to 117,649 paylines. Ra’s Golden Eye is used as wild in the game and replaces all symbols.
One of the essential parts of the game comes from using the trail, a 9-segment area displayed on the left side of the screen. With each win, you advance one position on the rail. On the 5th roll, you activate modifiers, and on the 7th roll, you gain access to free spins. The Stargate Trail restarts between spins, and reaching steps 7, 8 or 9 triggers free spins in the Stargate Megaways bonus game.
Winning aside, Stargate Megaways recreates the idyllic Stargate setting, with the epic portal opening to other worlds and authentic cinematic visuals. The sound effects for the reels and the game modifying animations are taken straight from the movie.
RTP, Variance and Top Payout
One of the challenges of most slot machines designed to pay large prizes is that they are also riskier. The high volatility of Stargate Megaways is to be expected, but luckily it has a good RTP of 96%. The RTP is generated in various ways, depending on the setting up of the gate. Playing naturally, 96% is the return value, or between 96.13% and 96.78% when the bonus round is activated.
The stakes used are not too high, as you can bet up to 10 credits per spin, while the minimum allowed is 0.20. However, with a maximum payout potential of 25,000x, the right bet can mean an impressive prize of 25,000x. While the odds of winning may seem a little daunting, with the free spins and multipliers available, these jackpots aren’t totally out of reach.
Symbols and Graphics
With 6 reels and top 4 additions, there are multiple ways to win in Stargate Megaways. From the leftmost reel to any row on the right, combine three or more adjacent symbols to win.
Each round offers unique outcomes for ten different symbols, with the first six lower symbols paying between 0.5x and 0.8x your bet for six of the same type. At the same time, the premium symbols are worth more, ranging from 1.5x to 10x for six.
The eye of Ra is a wild symbol that replaces all other symbols and also appears during free spins on reels of six only.
The game is well designed and appealing to the movie fans, with simple and colourful symbols, where a Stargate is used around the play area with a 9-position trail that lights up with cascade wins leading to the bonus game.
What We Like
Lots of modifiers keep things exciting
High risk maths model
Movie clips and soundtrack
Classic Megaways™ features
What We Don't Like
Variance may scare some people off
Tough to unlock free spins
Gameplay and Features
Between the 6 central game reels, the horizontal reel and the 9-position side trail, Stargate Megaways becomes an exciting slot to play with several win options.
These are the triggers to look out for:
- This is a CASCADING Winning combinations remove the symbols, and the empty positions are filled with new ones. As new combinations are formed, the cascades will continue to activate.
- Each turn triggers the TRAIL, and when you reach REEL 5, a random modifier is activated. Once you get the 7TH POSITION, the BONUS is launched. The trail is restarted on each round.
The 5th position randomly triggers one of these modifiers:
- Random Wilds:Adds up to six wild symbols on reels 2 to 5.
- Expanding Reels: Increases the reels to the maximum number of rows possible, creating 117,649 ways to payout. Automatically fills the extended positions with new symbols.
- Wild reel:Reels 2, 3, 4, or 5 transforms into full wild reels.
- Mystery symbols: 10 random characters are turned into the same type of symbol.
- Regenerate: Removes all symbols from the board and replaces them with a new batch.
With the adrenaline of seeing the Trail light up, you reach the highest point of the game when you achieve levels 7, 8, or 9, activating the bonus game. Here’s how it works:
- The bonus gives the corresponding 5, 6 or 7 FREE SPINS depending on the level reached.
- Before starting the bonus, you will be presented with 7 CHOICE GAME for 15 doors, where you can reveal modifiers that transition into the bonus gameplay. You can earn more than one modifier from the list below:
- Up to 25 extra free spins with ADDITIONAL SPINS.
- The WIN MULTIPLICATOR is applied to the bonus winnings.
- With SHAPES INCREASE, each spin guarantees more ways than the previous one, with up to 117,649 ways to win.
- If the Eye of Ra symbol lands on reel 6, the initial number of free spins is restarted at REINCARNATE.
- Should you hit CASH PRIZES, an instant value of 5x to 100x your bet is revealed.
- In WILD GATES, extra wild symbols are added to the top reel.
- And finally, you can also get EXPANDING WILDS where wild symbols appear on reels 2, 3, 4 or 5 and expand to fill the reel.
Stargate Megaways also comes with a feature called Buy Pass. If this is available (outside the UK), players can purchase access to different segments on the trail:
- You can trigger a base game modifier in segments 5,7,8 or 9 for the cost of 31.5x, 45.5x, 72.5x, or 123.5x, respectively.
The Buy Pass feature has an expected RTP between 96.13% and 96.89%.
The Stargate Megaways will delight sci-fi fans, especially those who closely follow this famous saga. The game makes a great first impression from the visual effects to the characters chosen, mentioning the original movie soundtrack.
Full of movement and modifiers, you will hardly have a dull moment. With the extra horizontal reel to the world’s gateway passage as a trail, SG Digital has done an excellent job adapting this game.
The adrenaline rush of cascading gameplay is a constant, and the transition through the Stargate when the bonus rounds trigger is entertaining and takes you straight into the imagery of the Stargate world. The game offers a wide range of modifiers, five for the base game and seven for the bonus game, making it both busy and fun entertainment.
We can mention some difficulty in reaching the bonus segments as one of the less positive aspects. However, this ultimately makes the game more compelling and exciting.
With a good RTP and an attractive 25,000x payout, Stargate Megaways is an excellent choice for those who enjoy a good adventure with high volatility and plenty of science fiction.