About This Slot
Clover Gold is an April 2022 release from Pragmatic Play. Their recent titles including Queenie with its classic theme and four fixed jackpots, and Gates of Valhalla, stacked with progressive wilds and high-risk mayhem, show a studio on a rich run of form. So, we’re excited to be getting round to reviewing another brand new slot form their team. They’ve turned to another well-trodden path for this one, delving into Irish mythology and lucky charms as they did in Rainbow Gold, Murphy’s Pots and Gold Party.
As you would expect the reels and backdrop are stacked with redheaded girls, pots of gold, leprechauns, pots of beer and various other typical Irish slot icons. The action all takes place on five reels with three rows and 20 active payline in play at any time. The features are fairly standard but things are definitely cranked up a notch in the bonus round where you can collect symbols on a trail to progress towards re-triggers and 5x multipliers.
Clover Gold is playable at new slot sites on all devices, including notepads, mobiles and desktops, thanks to the HTML5 technology that it utilises.
RTP, Variance and Top Payout
Clover Gold runs on a 96.54% RTP by default though it is one of those games that can vary depending on the operator – as low as 94.51% in some cases. So check the info screen of the game before spinning so you know what you are getting into.
As we know, the variance of the game defines how the RTP is realised, and in this instance, Clover Gold runs on a medium volatility setting suggesting a relatively even distribution of wins. The top payout is a fairly modest 5000x in the free spins round. Meanwhile, betting starts at just 10p per spin.
In summary, the maths model opens Clover Gold up to players of all budgets and tasets – the volatility isn’t off the scale and the 96.54% RTP suggests you’ll get good value for money as you spin the reels and a good session out of a relatively small bankroll.
Symbols and Graphics
Central to the game’s design is the figure of a leprechaun smiling jauntily and surrounded by an enchanting environment – a hazy glade with pretty flowers, gnarly old trees and lavish green grasses where birds continuously fly around, and the 4-leaf clovers grow wild!
The paylines here are fixed, with winning combinations created from 3 or more identical symbols from left to right.
The Clover Gold paytable consists of both lower and higher-paying symbols. The A, K, Q and J are the lower-paying symbols, while the girl, wooden beer stein, fly agarics, and the leprechaun are the premiums. The lower-paying symbols pay a maximum of 2.5x the original bet. Higher paying icons provide payouts anywhere between 3.75x and 12.5x.
What We Like
Colourful, Irish-themed graphics
Medium variance makes it easy play
Money collect feature
Trail Bonus Feature
What We Don't Like
Very traditional gameplay
No progressive jackpot feature
Gameplay and Features
Loading up Clover Gold you will see a very traditional slot format – 5 reels and 3 rows with no expanding reels or additional reel sets to look out for. The gameplay is straightforward too, with just a few modifiers to look out for. Here are the triggers you need to set up those big wins:
- Get ready for WILDS – they land on reels 2 to 5 and sub in for all others except the collect, money or scatters, to form wins.
- But more importantly, aim to land 4 LEAF CLOVER MONEY symbols on reels 1 to 4 simultaneously with COLLECT symbols on reel 5. This is the combo required to trigger any of the following:
- Collect: Collects the values of money icons on the slot reels and pays them out.
- Extra Collect: This adds value to all the prizes shown on the money icons.
- Re-Spins Collect: Respins all the positions that do not have collect or money icons on them.
- Expanding Collect: Money icons expand and occupy all positions on their respective reels.
- Multiplier Collect: Applies multipliers to all prizes indicated on money icons.
- As usual with Pragmatic Play slots, there is a Free Spins round too – you will need to land 3 BONUS icons simultaneously on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th reels to activate this. You’ll then receive eight free spins, which function the same as the base game spins with one difference – collect icons are now accumulated on a TRAIL when they land as well. Each 4th COLLECT ICON added on the trail provides 8 ADDITIONAL FREE SPINS and triggers a 2x MULTIPLIER, a 3x MULTIPLIER and a 5x MULTIPLIER for the first, second and third multipliers, respectively.
NOTE: After the third trigger, the free spins cannot be activated again.
Pragmatic Play have gone all-in with the Irish theme in Clover Gold – it’s dripping with Celtic charm from its jolly fiddle, banjo and flute music, to its flying birds, and magical background, rich in golds and greens. So if you’re into that style of game, you’re onto a winner! But Clover Gold is also a very traditional slot that may struggle to hold its own in a world of Megaways™, xWays and gamified slots engines. In essence this one is just about one thing – landing the 4 Leaf Clovers and the Collect symbols together to trigger multipliers, re-spins and free spins. The maths model is also very middle of the road – the RTP is average, the variane set to medium and the top prize an underwhelming 5,000x.
So, in summary, Clover Gold looks great but feels a little generic, and the lack of any extras like expanding reels or a progressive jackpot feature hold it back in these days of sophisticated reel play. So one to test for a few spins, but maybe not to linger long in the memory.