True Grit Redemption

True Grit Redemption Slot Review

Slot Provider: Nolimit City

RTP: 96.11% | Variance: High | Maximum Win: 20,200x

Our Score: 8.6

Play at Voodoo Dreams

About True Grit Redemption

Reviewed by:

Published Date: 25th January 2022

How We Review Slot Games

We test and rate all slot games across 5 criteria, assigning a score out of 10 for each and an overall score that is an average of the 5. To build an accurate assessment of each game we gather information from the supplier and play in real play or demo mode. Find out more.

There is no question who are the kings of dark and deadly high risk slots action right now. No Limit City have carved out a niche for themselves through extreme variance and literally a ‘no limits’ approach to game themes. Anyone loading up an NLC slot for the first time must be ready to feel the fear – from the nerve-shredding asylum antics of Mental to prison lockdowns in San Quentin xWays and moody WW2 submarine game, Das xBoot – this studio has taken slots in a new direction. There are elements of the best Playstation horror games as well as classic movies in their work – mainly sources of inspiration that haven’t been tapped before – and it makes reviewing a new NLC slot a thrilling experience. Indeed, we’ve yet to find a real dud, and true to form, True Grit Redemption doesn’t disappoint.

From the outset, this is another moody game from the NLC stable with an engrossing theme, a nod to a top Hollywood film, bold imagery, intriguing gameplay and of course extreme volatility. Aside from the grim grey backdrop, hovering clouds and rain, on launching the slot, the first thing you’ll see is the interesting layout with 6 reels including 2 horizontals, slightly reminiscent of a Megaways™ slot, though the gameplay is pretty different. The top horizontal reel holds Wilds and characters, the bottom one holds Wilds and special symbols, while the regular 6 reels hold the other main icons.

The atmosphere is grim and the protagonists are all menacing Wild West characters; some are holding guns; one sports an eye patch; one has a massive moustache. You get the idea. These aren’t the people you’d fancy having dinner with!

True Grit Redemption Game Information

  • RTP: 96.11%, 94.04%
  • Variance: High
  • Maximum Win: 20,200x
  • Progressive Jackpot: No
  • Reels: 6
  • Rows: Up to 5
  • Paylines: 240 +
  • Minimum Stake: £0.20
  • Theme: Wild West
  • Features: Wilds, xNudge Wilds, xWays, Infectious xWays, Split Symbols, Free Spins, Multpilers

True Grit Redemption Review Scores

  • Gameplay and Features 9
  • Maximum Win 8
  • Theme and Design 9
  • Paytable 9
  • RTP and Variance 8

What Our Reviewer Says ...

"Another superbly dark and deadly outing with NLC. Expect tough times before an avalanche of frantic, interacting features trigger epic wins!"

Our Score: 8.6

True Grit Redemption Pros and Cons

What We Liked

  • Moody Wild West theme and feature-packed
  • 20,220x stake top payout
  • TWO free spins rounds
  • Lots of payline expansions
  • Sticky Multipliers

What We Didn't like

  • Confusing gameplay
  • Low-paying regular symbols

RTP and Variance

Our Score 8

What is RTP?

RTP (Return to Player) refers to the amount a game will pay out in cash prizes expressed as a percentage of all the money wagered on that game. For example, a 96% RTP means a game will pay out £96 for every £100 wagered. This is an average number and will vary from one session to the next.  Read more here.

What is Variance?

Variance refers to how far a game will deviate from its RTP over time. High variance games deviate a lot and produce uneven win distributions and unexpected windfalls. Low variance games provide a more stable and even distribution of wins. Read more here.

Onto the maths and you know you are in proper NLC territory here.

The RTP here is an average 96.11%, while the volatility level is extreme – a 10/10 on NLCs scale. You’ll find 240 ways to win initially, which will increase with the splitting symbols and reels. The volatility makes this slot incredibly risky, so fans of bumpy gameplay will love the unpredictability and potential big prizes, but those with a more risk averse attitude might find it all too much.

The minimum bet is 20p, so it’s not the lowest cost spinner out there. If you manage to land the right mix of all the features, you could be looking at a top payout of 20,220x stake. This is most likely to arrive from the xWays features and Sticky Wild Multipliers during Free Spins.

However, it’s important to flag that the odds of hitting the top win in True Grit Redemption are 1 in 6 million. So don’t hold your breathe! Meanwhile, the regularity of hitting the free spin round is one in 214 spins.

Symbols and Paytable

Our Score 9

The symbols in True Grit Redemption include the Wild West characters: a man with a big moustache, a woman holding a smoking pistol, a man wearing a cowboy hat holding two pistols, a grinning man cradling a shotgun, and a bald man with an eye-patch. There’s also a grumpy girl with a challenging stare – the Grit Girl. There are also gold Wilds, gold Scatters and high cards for the lower payouts.

The high cards award from 0.2 to 0.75x stake for 6 matches, the characters pay from 0.85 to 1.75x stake for 6 matches, while the Grit Girl can land on reels 1,2,3 and 4 to award from 25x for 3 matches up to 500x for 4 matches. The payouts from the Grit Girl also receive a Multiplier.

Features and Gameplay

Our Score 9

NLC don’t hold back on the features here – we are used to this by now and it can make gameplay a little confusing. A few rounds on demo mode are therefore a good idea before you start spinning with your own cash. Here is how it all fits together.

Transforming Symbols

If the symbols in the top reel match with any symbols in the main reel set, they both become Wilds. When the Transform ‘Em symbol appears on the bottom reel, all low-pays or character symbols transform into the same symbol.

xNudge Wilds  

Another classic NLC features used in many of their games, Stacked Wilds can appear on any of the bottom reels. When they do, they nudge up or down until they fully occupy a visible reel, adding a further 1x to a Multiplier with each nudge. If more than Wild Multiplier is active, then they combine before being applied to a win.

xWays and Infectious xWays

xWays and Split Symbols are NLC’s way of creating reel expansion and additional paylines in a dynamic fashion just like Megaways™. These are a little more complicated however. Here is how they work.

xWays can land anywhere except on the top reel, while Infectious xWays land on the bottom reel. xWays turn into 2 or 3 instances of a symbol, which increases the win ways. Infectious xWays impact elsewhere on the reels – they reveal 2 symbols, which cause all other symbols of this type to expand.

Split Symbols

The reel split symbol appears on the bottom reel and doubles all symbols in the main reels. Reels can split twice. Instead of splitting, the Grit Girl symbol doubles its Multiplier value.

Free Spins and Multipliers

There are 2 Free Spins rounds in True Grit Redemption: Torture Spins and Dead Spins.

Landing 1 to 4 Scatters unlocks 4, 7, 9 or 10 of the locked positions on the main reel set. 3 Scatters triggers 8 Torture Spins, while 4 Scatters triggers 10 Dead Spins. Each split Scatter adds additional Free Spins.

During Dead Spins, the Sticky Wild Multiplier is unlocked and increases by 1x on each new Cascade after a win.

Bonus Buy – Outside UK Only

There are three ways to buy into bonus rounds in this game:

  • Torture Spins – 69x your bet
  • Dead Spins – 669x your bet
  • 80% Chance of Torture Spins and 20% Chance of Dead Spins -189x your bet

The Final Verdict

Our Score 8.6

Confused? We were! True Grit Redemption is a complicated slot with loads of bonus features which can be daunting for sure and it could take a few gaming sessions to get to grips with it!

What is important is that the features flow pretty regularly and of course you need them to boost your payouts from what are very low-paying regular symbols. There are in fact many ways to trigger some decent size wins but ultimately the best is to unlock those free spins rounds and Sticky Wild Multipliers, combining with the Grit Girl symbol. This could trigger wins that lead towards the potential 20,220x top payout.

Whilst the features may seem a little over-complicated, it’s still fun to test your luck on True Grit due to the compelling theme and dark atmosphere.

In summary, if you love No Limit City’s style then this game certainly won’t disappoint. It might not have the jackpot potential of other NLC titles, but it’s certainly got the grit!

Who Made True Grit Redemption?

  • Name: Nolimit City
  • Established: 2016
  • UK License: Remote 052097-R-329532-005
  • Total Games: 50 +
  • Known For: Super high variance, super high maximum wins, adult themes, irreverent humour
  • Popular Slots: San Quentin xWays, Mental, Book of Shadows, Tombstone RIP
Find More Nolimit City - Trusted and Independent Online Slot Reviews has been publishing online slot reviews since 2018. It’s fair to say we know a thing or two about what makes a good game – that magic mix of theme, style, gameplay and payout potential. For each slot we review we take you on the full journey through its narrative and design, reel configuration, key numbers including RTP and max win, volatility level, gameplay, and finally an expert verdict. You can also check our comparison tables to see how each slot matches up against others handpicked by our reviewers and check our tips on hitting that winning streak.

We are not paid by the developers whose games we cover. We are independent and our views of each game are honest. That is why you can trust us!

Learn, explore and find your next slots adventure with us!!