Play Gates of Troy At These Slot Sites
About This Slot
The story of the Trojan War is perhaps the best known of the Ancient Greek mythologies and makes a good source of inspiration for slots developers. Play n Go’s latest release focuses on the most famous episode from the conflict where Achilles and his battalion break into the city of Troy using a wooden horse in which they hide. Once inside the gates they launch their attack and are victorious.
The narrative is transposed to the video slot where your mission is to unlock the gates to enter the free spins round! This requires Trojan Horse scatters and on some spins you are guaranteed at least two to help you on your way.
Gates of Troy is impressive for its graphics shown in the screen shots below. The action takes place on a 5×4 reel set within a stone column framework and in front of enormous wooden gates which slam shut before the game starts. Opening them will get you into the free spins round where Wilds, Multiplier Wilds and Wild Frames can boost your wins.
Gates of Troy arrives at UK slot sites from 15th September 2022.
RTP, Variance and Top Payout
Play n Go have dialled down the maths in Gates of Troy to give this game a broader appeal than some of their more risky slots. Here are the key stats from the game info sheet:
- Play n Go rate this as a 6/10 on the volatility scale. That puts it firmly in the medium variance bracket. In short, it won’t give you the same roller coaster of losses vs wins as Mega Don or a Reactoonz 2. This is also reflected in the top payout.
- The max advertised win is 3,000x. This is low for modern slots but not surprising for a medium variance game.
- The RTP of Gates of Troy is 96.2% – about average for a slot game.
- The odds of hitting the top payout are 1 in 100,000,000.
- You can play from 10p per spin.
Symbols and Graphics
The artwork is probably the most impressive part of Gates of Troy. The symbols on the reels are beautifully depicted and their values not bad either. There are the key facts from the paytable:
- Gates of Troy is a 5 reel by 4 row slot with 30 fixed paylines in play at all times.
- Wins are triggered when 3 or more identical symbols land on a payline from left to right starting with the first reel.
- Low payers are the 10 through to Ace, depicted in a Roman font. Their values range from 0.75x for 3 10s on a line to 4.2x for five Aces on a line.
- Premiums are shown as the Vase, the Fruit Bowl, Achilles and Helen. Helen is the highest value icon worth 30x for five on a payline.
- In Gates of Troy there are also Soldier Wilds and Multiplier Wilds. These will substitute for all other symbols AND pay out for 3 or more on a payline. In fact, Wilds are the highest value icon at 45x for five on a payline.
- Finally, there is the Trojan Horse scatter which is required to trigger free spins. This is also a pay symbol and rewards you 1.5x, 15x or 150x for 3, 4 or 5 on a payline.
What We Like
Scatters pay 150x for 5 on a line
2 Guaranteed scatters on some spins
Great artwork and intro video
What We Don't Like
Gameplay and Features
A helping hand unlocking the free spins round comes in the form of GUARANTEED scatters. This little feature triggers at random, dropping 2 scatters onto the reels on the selected spin so you only need to land ONE more to trigger the bonus round.
Free Spins With Wild Frames
Free Spins are triggered by scatters and come with an payout as follows:
- 3 Scatters – 10 free spins plus a 1x payout
- 4 Scatters – 10 free spins plus a 10x payout
- 5 Scatters – 10 free spins plus a 100x payout
But that’s not all. Wilds are also in play in the bonus round and when they land a frame appears around their position in the grid. Those frames remain throughout the free spins round. On the final spin they are filled with Wilds to increase your odds of hitting winning lines.
More Games Like Gates of Troy Fortune
If you like this game you might also like these two as well.
Parthenon Quest for Immortality by NetEnt – another medium variance slot with a Greek-mythology theme is this one from NetEnt. It is a good alternative to Gates of Troy because it has 10,000 paylines and a huge 60,000x top win. That is much bigger than Play n Go’s game. The features include Wilds, Avalanche wins and Free Spins. The RTP is the same as Gates of Troy at 96.2%.
Treasures of Troy by IGT – also set in the city of Troy with a medium variance is this game from IGT. It has more paylines that Gates of Tory – 1,024 and a higher top win at 5,000x. Landing Trojan Horse symbols gets you up to 20 free spins in this game and wild symbols are also active on every spin. You can play Treasures of Troy at Play OJO.
Where to Play Gates of Troy – Further Recommendations
Here are two further UK-licensed sites we recommend to try this game at:
Race Casino – Race is an F1-themed online casino on the L and L Europe label with a license from the UK Gambling Commission. They have over 1,000 slots from all the top suppliers including Play n Go. You can join today for 100% up to £100 bonus.
Play OJO – OJO is a top casino for slots players because all their free spins offers come with no wagering requirements. You can claim 50 spins with your first deposit. They also have a huge slots catalogue of more than 2,000 games. You can read more in our Play OJO review.
Gates of Troy is one of the more basic slots we have seen from Play n Go. The stand-out features of the game are the aesthetics – the background and characters are beautifully drawn – and the high value wilds and scatters that land you up to 150x. However, the lack of engaging and innovative features – free spins and wilds are perhaps the most commonly used features in slots – makes the game feel overly simple in today’s market.
But maybe that is what Play n Go are aiming for here. Not every game needs to be as sophisticated as No Limit City’s crazily complex feature-packed slots. Remember after all that this is a medium variance game with a low top payout. It has been built for casual slots fans who want a few spins without the harem-scarem ride of high-risk gaming. If that’s you, then enjoy a few spins on Gates of Troy. If you want something more compelling and innovative, take a look at the games on this page.