About This Slot
Not to be outdone by rivals, Play n Go, whose Mega Don slot is due for release at the best slot sites in September 2022, iSoftBet are releasing their own game featuring a fearsome apex predator. Ocean Hunter turns hunter into hunted as a group of divers searching for treasures on the sea floor become the target of terrifying great whites swimming through blood red water.
Ocean Hunter is a curious mix of gore, with sharks depicted with blood stains around their mouths, and a slightly lightweight maths model. We will come onto the maths further into this review. But for now, be ready to load up this game and witness blood-red waters behind a solid blue 5×3 grid. Fish of varying sizes swim ominously behind this reel set in animations that continue throughout the game.
The soundtrack is sparse, perhaps evoking the feeling of swimming underwater with the ever-present danger of a shark attack.
Spins start from 20p per play.
RTP, Variance and Top Payout
Ocean Hunter may feature the most dangerous of apex predators but the maths model is, somewhat surprisingly, far from scary. Here is how the numbers stack up:
- Ocean Hunter is a medium variance slot according to iSoftBet’s documentation and testing showed this to be accurate. Wins are steady, though small as we shall see. It has none of the sharp peaks and deep troughs of a classic high-risk slot.
- The RTP of Ocean Hunter slot is 95.99%, close to average for the industry.
- The top win for Ocean Hunter is a very disappointing 1,538x. This puts it right at the lower end of the scale for video slots. Most games now are boasting 5,000x or more top wins, though this figure is typically lower for low to medium variance games. Still, we would expect more from a game that is graphically baring its teeth like Ocean Hunter does.
- In Ocean Hunter the chances of hitting the free spins round are 1 in 280.
Symbols and Graphics
The paytable in Ocean Hunter features some good payouts at the top level and some nicely illustrated symbols of divers and underwater treasures. Here are the main highlights:
- Ocean Hunter is a 5-reel slot with 3 rows and 20 fixed paylines active on each spin. You’ll need to hit 3 or more matching symbols on a row from left to right to score a win. In the free spins round 3 additional reel sets may become active to give extra paylines on every spin.
- The low payers are the standard 10 through to Ace drawn in a blocky-font on a dark background. Prizes are small in value up to 4x for five Aces on a payline.
- Better wins can be found by matching premiums which come in the form of two lots of sunken treasure, a female diver, a male diver, and the fearsome shark itself. The predator will get you a nice 50x for five on a payline.
- There are also Wilds represented by the Shark with gaping jaws. These will sub for all other symbols to form win lines and can come with multipliers in the Wild Frenzy feature.
- Finally, the Radar Bonus symbols are key to unlocking the free spins round – you’ll need 3 or more to do so.
What We Like
Cool graphics and atmosphere
Wild Multipliers in base game hit 5x
Up to 80 paylines in free spins round
Up to 3 Wild Reels in bonus round
50x top paying shark symbol
What We Don't Like
Low top payout
Medium variance takes edge of gameplay
Gameplay and Features
Ocean Hunter utilises wilds, multipliers and free spins to drive up your wins. There is also an interesting extra that adds 50% to your stake which we’ve not seen before. Here is how it all fits together.
FRENZIED SHARK ATTACKS GIVE YOU MULTIPLIER WILDS!
- In the Wild Frenzy feature, sharks attack the reels randomly at any point in the game.
- This will transform payer symbols into wilds.
- If the shark likes the taste of a symbol and takes another bite, its multiplier increases by 1x each time, up to a maximum of 5x.
- You can increase the chances of triggering a feeding wild frenzy with the Extra Bait Bet – baiting the hook means 50% on top of your standard stake.
FREE SPINS ROUND – FOUR REEL SETS AND WILD REELS!
- Three or more Radar symbols must land on reels 1, 3 and 5 consecutively to trigger the free spins round.
- Now, the screen refreshes with FOUR reel sets.
- The round starts with reel set one active and the other three locked.
- Oxygen Tank symbols must be collected to unlock each of the other three reels.
- You need 10, 20, then 30 Oxygen Tanks to unlock the remaining reels. When all FOUR are unlocked, you’ll have 80 active paylines on each free spin.
- Plus … each time you unlock another reel set, another reel ON EVERY one turns fully Wild, starting from the left-most reels.
- In effect, by the time you have ALL four reel sets active, reels 3, 4 and 5 on EVERY one are Wild!!
We really enjoyed the concept of Ocean Hunter when we first opened-up the game. The graphics, whilst quite basic, do well to evoke the danger of swimming amongst deadly predators and there is a Hollywood movie quality to the dark waters, sharp-toothed monsters, and eerie soundtrack. Indeed, the gameplay itself is compelling in places too, with Wild Frenzies weaving the concept of shark attacks around the gameplay nicely. And with 5x multipliers and 50x top paying symbols available, you can rack up some nice wins here. Also, the free spins round with the possibility of 80 paylines in play and three wild reels on all four sets has the potential to set off some great win sequences.
This is all great, but unfortunately, for our tastes the maths model is too tame. Those who enjoy steady gameplay and small wins will enjoy Ocean Hunter, but if you are looking for something more dangerous with higher risk levels then you’ll need to go elsewhere.
Which brings us to a couple of comparisons.
Shark action can also be found in Play n Go’s new upcoming slot, Mega Don, which, whilst lacking the atmosphere of Ocean Hunter, has far more bite in its cartoon shark. The variance there is much higher and the top payout of 10,000x far more satisfactory. Meanwhile, the symbol upgrades in the free spins round really gives you the chance of scoring some big payouts.
Another alternative is everyone’s favourite high-risk shark-themed slot, Push Gaming’s Razor Shark, from 2019. In that slot, Mystery Stacks and multipliers of up to 2,500x can drive wins of up to 50,000x. It’s a very different experience to Ocean Hunter, and built for a different audience, but it’s also one of Push Gaming’s best products.
If Ocean Hunter’s lower variance and low top payout put you off the we recommend trying one of these two instead. Happy Hunting!