Valley of the Gods 2 Slot Review
Slot Provider: Yggdrasil Gaming
RTP: 96.3% | Variance: High | Maximum Win: 6,423x
Our Score: 7.8
About Valley of the Gods 2
Reviewed by: Anon Author
Published Date: 1st October 2020
How We Review Slot GamesWe test and rate all slot games across 5 criteria, assigning a score out of 10 for each and an overall score that is an average of the 5. To build an accurate assessment of each game we gather information from the supplier and play in real play or demo mode. Find out more.
Valley of the Gods 2 by Yggdrasil is the sequel to the popular 2017 release Valley of the Gods. It is an Egyptian-themed game whose main characteristics are an unusual asymetrical reels set with expanding rows and paylines, progressive multipliers and sticky wild reels.
This is the slot provider who brought us the unique DuoMax mechanic in Floragedon and the synching reels in Hyperburst as well as movie-style games like Vikings Go To Hell, so we can always expect something a little bit different when Yggdrasil drop a new game on us. The action takes place in a similar desert setting to the original with temples and palm trees in the backdrop whilst a chilled-out middle eastern tune plays along.
Valley of the Gods 2 Game Information
- RTP: 96.3%
- Variance: High
- Maximum Win: 6,423x
- Progressive Jackpot: No
- Reels: 6
- Rows: Up To 5
- Paylines: 240
- Minimum Stake: £0.20
- Theme: Ancient Egypt
- Features: Re-Spins, Expanding Paylines, Multipliers, Wild Reels, Extra Lives
Valley of the Gods 2 Review Scores
- Gameplay and Features 7
- Maximum Win 7
- Theme and Design 9
- Paytable 8
- RTP and Variance 8
What Our Reviewer Says ...
"A thrilling high variance game where progressive sequences of wins accumulate features, paylines and big potential for maximum excitement!"
Our Score: 7.8
Valley of the Gods 2 Pros and Cons
What We Liked
- Compelling progressive gameplay
- One spin can trigger big chain of events
- Huge 20,160 ways to win available
- Wild reels can drive more wins
- Win multiplier once all paylines open
What We Didn't like
- No regular free spins round
RTP and Variance
Our Score 8
What is RTP?RTP (Return to Player) refers to the amount a game will pay out in cash prizes expressed as a percentage of all the money wagered on that game. For example, a 96% RTP means a game will pay out £96 for every £100 wagered. This is an average number and will vary from one session to the next. Read more here.
What is Variance?Variance refers to how far a game will deviate from its RTP over time. High variance games deviate a lot and produce uneven win distributions and unexpected windfalls. Low variance games provide a more stable and even distribution of wins. Read more here.
Valley of the Gods 2 has a slightly above average RTP of 96.3%.
This makes good value for your wagers. There are a few Yggdrasil slots that offer a better RTP. For example, 9K Yeti (97% RTP), Wilhelm Tell (97% RTP) and Baron Samedi (97% RTP).
The variance in Valley of the Gods 2 is medium-high, a little above what the original game played at. That might make wins a bit harder to come by, but suggests some good high payout sequences might come when all paylines are unlocked. If you like this type of high variance gaming you could also try Vikings Go Beserk Reloaded or Champion of the Underworld by the same provider.
The highest payout is 6,423x your stake, which is Ok, but not great, and this will be achievable if you manage to take full advantage of the special features described below. For bigger payouts you could try 9k Yeti (9,012x) or Hades Gigablox (11,129x).
You can start playing this slot from 10p per spin.
Symbols and Paytable
Our Score 8
Graphically, the sequel is very similar to the original. Symbols are classically Egyptian and of moderate value. However, the expanded paylines and multipliers give you the chance to boost wins above base levels. Here are the paytable highlights:
- There are six reels, each with varying rows. When the game initially loads the row configuration is 1-2-3-4-5-2. However, there is room to expand this as far as 3-4-5-6-6-8. This expands the paylines from 240 up to 20,160.
- High paying symbols are the Egyptian Gods, namely Horus, Anubis, Bastet and Sobek. Players might have seen the Eye of Horus symbol and jackal-headed Anubis in other Egyptian themed slots, so there is some familiarity here. The highest paying is Horus, worth 16x for six on a line.
- Low payers are high card symbols running from 9 to Ace. The Ace is worth 4x for six on a line.
- Other symbols include the Wilds, which ALWAYS appears stacked and substitute for the other symbols, and the colourful scarabs, which trigger the bonus features.
Features and Gameplay
Our Score 7
Valley of the Gods 2 follows a classic high variance gameplay model. Successive wins bring re-spins, more rows, more paylines and more features . And if you can keep your sequence going, you’ll push on towards that 6,000x + top win. Here is how it works:
EVERY WIN Earns a Re-Spins With More Paylines!
The core part of the gameplay here is the re-spin feature.
EVERY win triggers a re-spin.
But before it can happen, blockers on each reel are removed to reveal more rows and subsequently activate more paylines. The number of blockers removed is the equivalent to the number of symbols in the winline that triggered the re-spin.
If another win is triggered by the re-spin then the process repeats. The affect is to open up more and more of the reel set with every re-spins giving you more paylines and more chance of winning.
And, there are further modifiers unlocked along the way. First, if you open up all positions on the reels and earn an extra life to absorb a losing spin without as reel re-set.
Then, three new modifiers come into play. These are unlocked by collecting coloured scarab beetle symbols that appear after each win.
- Collect FIVE red scarabs and earn another extra life
- Collect FIVE blue scarabs and get 1x added to your win multiplier
- Collect FIVE golden scarabs to get a random wild reel added somewhere on the reel set
The action continues until you have a non-winning spin where no more extra lives are available.
The Final Verdict
Our Score 7.8
We played this game at a 10p stake level. Here are our thoughts on the gameplay and features. You can see screen shots our play here too.
- Initially, winning spins were hard to come by. A few times we went 8 or 9 spins without ANY wins. This felt at odds with the 20% hit rate (1 in 5) that Yggdrasil publish on their own website. However, once we successfully did land a win, we ALWAYS got a few successive re-spins after that, and on around 50% of occasions, we cleared all the blockers and started playing in the fully-expanded state with 20,160 paylines in play. This makes sense. The best parts of the game happen once all reels are fully expanded and if Yggdrasil made it too difficult to get there, it wouldn’t be worth playing.
- Extra lives were relatively easy to come by. The extra 1x on your win multiplier too. But Wild Reels were a rarity. We had one during our session. And it appeared on reel 1, just 3 rows high! It would have been better to get this on reel 6 covering seven positions.
- Our best win, £2.26 came from a 10p bet (22x).
- As you can see in this screenshot, the highest our multiplier reached was 4x.
Overall, the gameplay was smooth and this was a fun slot to play. Despite the slow start and quite a few losing spins, once we got re-spins and the reel set opened things got quite exciting. It’s disappointing when you run out of lives because you go from hero to zero in moment, but that is part of the thrill of this kind of slot and with prolonged play we can see how you might score some epic wins if all the cards fall in your favour.
Who Made Valley of the Gods 2?
Allslotsites.com - Trusted and Independent Online Slot Reviews
Allslotsites.com has been publishing online slot reviews since 2018. It’s fair to say we know a thing or two about what makes a good game – that magic mix of theme, style, gameplay and payout potential. For each slot we review we take you on the full journey through its narrative and design, reel configuration, key numbers including RTP and max win, volatility level, gameplay, and finally an expert verdict. You can also check our comparison tables to see how each slot matches up against others handpicked by our reviewers and check our tips on hitting that winning streak.
We are not paid by the developers whose games we cover. We are independent and our views of each game are honest. That is why you can trust us!
Learn, explore and find your next slots adventure with us!!