Going Underground Slot Review
Slot Provider: Pragmatic Play
RTP: 96.51% | Variance: High | Maximum Win: 5,000x
Our Score: 7.8
About Going Underground
Reviewed by: Mark Wadie
Published Date: 15th August 2022
How We Review Slot GamesWe test and rate all slot games across 5 criteria, assigning a score out of 10 for each and an overall score that is an average of the 5. To build an accurate assessment of each game we gather information from the supplier and play in real play or demo mode. Find out more.
Going Underground is a new online slot from Pragmatic Play due for release at slot sites in the UK from 25th August 2022. Its theme is historical London and the underground train system that has been running there for over 150 years.
The artwork is a kind of patchwork of styles from various eras – the tube train and passengers look like they might be from the 1930s of 40s, the characters are all caricatures with dress code and styles of their times, and the logo and reel set has a Victorian-styling to it, that reminds us of Sherlock of London slot. It’s a bit of a mish mash, but it certainly evokes the city well, and you’ll know where you are when you load up the reels.
Once you get spinning, Going Underground shows itself to be a compelling, feature-packed experience with plenty of action on most spins despite its highly volatile maths model.
Spins start at just 20p per play.
Going Underground Game Information
- RTP: 96.51%
- Variance: High
- Maximum Win: 5,000x
- Progressive Jackpot: No
- Reels: 5
- Rows: 3
- Paylines: 20
- Minimum Stake: £0.20
- Theme: Historical
- Features: Wilds, Stacked Wilds, Multipliers, Free Spins, Mystery Symbols
Going Underground Review Scores
- Gameplay and Features 8
- Maximum Win 7
- Theme and Design 8
- Paytable 8
- RTP and Variance 8
What Our Reviewer Says ...
"A fun slot with enough features to keep you interested, but underwhelming payouts"
Our Score: 7.8
Going Underground Pros and Cons
What We Liked
- Five modifiers in base game
- Gamble for next bonus round feature
- 2,500x money symbols in bonus
- Up to 5x multipliers
- Bonus Blitz takes you direct to bonuses
What We Didn't like
- Slightly chaotic artwork
- Low top payout
RTP and Variance
Our Score 8
What is RTP?RTP (Return to Player) refers to the amount a game will pay out in cash prizes expressed as a percentage of all the money wagered on that game. For example, a 96% RTP means a game will pay out £96 for every £100 wagered. This is an average number and will vary from one session to the next. Read more here.
What is Variance?Variance refers to how far a game will deviate from its RTP over time. High variance games deviate a lot and produce uneven win distributions and unexpected windfalls. Low variance games provide a more stable and even distribution of wins. Read more here.
By the numbers, here is how Going Underground looks:
- Going Underground is rated by Pragmatic Play as a high-risk game – that volatile maths model has potential to do damage to your balance like the latest train fare rises! Expect an uneven distribution of payouts.
- Going Underground runs on an RTP of 96.51% in the UK.
- The top win here is just 5,000x, a little underwhelming for a high-risk game with so many features. We would normally expect more and there are plenty of new releases this summer that easily exceed this – Road Rage from NLC for example at 36,000x.
Symbols and Paytable
Our Score 8
Let’s look at the Going Underground paytable for the key facts.
- Going Underground is a 20 payline game on 5 reels with 3 rows, though that can increase to 5 rows in the End of the Line bonus game. You’ll need to land three or more identical symbols on any payline from left to right to land payouts.
- The low payers are the cards Jack through to Ace maxing at 5x for five Aces on a payline.
- The premiums take five iconic characters from British history in the form of Newton, Shakespeare, Nightingale, Churchill and a very portly Henry VIII. You can trigger a win of 25x for five Henry’s in a line!
- And finally, there is a ‘W’ newspaper Wild which subs in for all other symbols except scatters and specials from the bonus rounds, to form wins. It also values itself at 25x for five on a line.
Features and Gameplay
Our Score 8
Pragmatic Play has stacked Going Underground with lots of features including FIVE modifiers to liven up the base game and FIVE bonus round, climaxing in an ‘End of the Line’ feature where the biggest wins can be unlocked.
FIVE BASE GAME MODIFIERS RANDOMLY ACTIVATED!!
Each of these can be triggered at random on any spin:
- In Tunnel Vision, Mystery Symbols drop onto the reels and transform into identical ones.
- 3×3 super symbols or bonus symbols drop onto reels 1, 2, 3 or 4 in The Big Smoke
- Wild Strike adds more wilds to the reel set at random
- For the Shifting Stacks modifiers, Wild Stacks are added to the reels and nudge fully into view when the spin stops. And win including a Wild Stack automatically utilises a 2x or 3x multiplier.
- Finally, a Bonus Blitz modifier blasts you into one of the FIVE bonus rounds described below.
JOURNEY THROUGH LONDON IN FIVE BONUS ROUNDS!!
Pragmatic Play have got creative with a series of FIVE bonus features. You’ll need at least THREE scatters, or the Bonus Blitz modifier in the base game to set these off.
The quality and potential of the bonus rounds improves as you move further up the line – and in an interesting twist, you can actually gamble with what you have to take the next bonus level instead. And … the good news is, even if you lose, you still get a consolation prize of a 4x to 24x bonus.
Utilising some iconic London tube stops, here are those FIVE bonuses:
Pentonville – get 5 free spins where wins are held in clusters. After any win you get a re-spin which continues until no more symbols can be added to the cluster.
King’s Cross – 5 more free spins but this time crosses are randomly added to the reels. If a wild lands on a cross, any symbol on another cross is transformed into a wild.
Buckingham Palace – here you get 8 free spins with a Wild Stack added to the reels. When it lands, it will move to cover the full visible reel, like the Shifting Stacks feature. Plus all premium character symbols are transformed into the highest value one.
Canary Wharf – now you will land 8 free spins AND characters randomly have a 1x to 50x value when they drop. If new collect symbols are also seen on the reels, then those values are paid out.
End of the Line – The best bonus feature of the lot is the End of the Line game which is like a new game in its own right with four features of its own.
The End of the Line bonus starts on a newly empty reel set and you get THREE spins to start, whilst the counter is re-set when any character symbol lands. And there are additional specials too:
- Money symbols with values up to 2,500x land and lock for the duration.
- Special Extra Life symbols give you ONE extra life when you land three during the round. Then, if your spin count hits zero, it re-sets to three.
- Prize Boost symbols increase the value of the money symbols on the reels.
- Expand symbols add an extra row on each reel when three are collected in the round. The reels can increase to 5 high in this way.
- Multiplier symbols give you a 2x, 3x then 5x multiplier with each third one collected. The multiplier is used when calculating the total payout at the end of the game.
The bonus round just keeps going until all positions are filled with money symbols, or the 5,000x top payout is achieved, or you simply run out of spins.
The Final Verdict
Our Score 7.8
Going Underground is the kind of slot that will appeal to those who like a lot of different features in their gameplay. Pragmatic have worked hard to create a game where variety is the spice of life. Whilst most of these features, bar the End of the Line bonus, prove themselves to be pretty lightweight, it’s still fun to be spinning with that feeling that you don’t know what might drop next.
In the base game the modifier that you should be looking for is the Wild Strike where a stack with a 3x modifier can be pretty useful, especially when combined with a high paying character payline. That, or the Bonus Blitz which sends you onto the tube line and sets you up for the bonus game
The bonus feature is hard to unlock though – this is high variance gaming – so keep this in mind if you are planning to gamble. It might be hard to unlock again. Having said that a consolation of up to 24x at least offsets your disappointment if you lose that gamble. The aim should be to reach the End of the Line where the real money can be won – a good mix of multipliers and Prize Boosters is what you need to get wins upwards of 1,000x which are possible on a good day.
Whilst we enjoyed Going Underground for its fun theme and features, there are other London-themed slots you could try that are a cut above this one. No Limit City‘s Punk Rocker is a great choice, an early example of their work which mixes up xWays, Jumping Wilds and expanding reels up to 46,656 paylines, and comes with a much better 15,000x top win.
Or you could try Big Time Gaming’s awesome Monopoly Megaways, a game that peaks at 14,700x payouts and cleverly weaves the Megaways features around the classic board game. The gameplay is intricate and sophisticated – more so than Going Underground – where collecting houses or landing on Chance gets you into the free spins for example. Its also a very high variance slot
Whatever you choose to play, good luck and have fun!
Who Made Going Underground?
Allslotsites.com - Trusted and Independent Online Slot Reviews
Allslotsites.com has been publishing online slot reviews since 2018. It’s fair to say we know a thing or two about what makes a good game – that magic mix of theme, style, gameplay and payout potential. For each slot we review we take you on the full journey through its narrative and design, reel configuration, key numbers including RTP and max win, volatility level, gameplay, and finally an expert verdict. You can also check our comparison tables to see how each slot matches up against others handpicked by our reviewers and check our tips on hitting that winning streak.
We are not paid by the developers whose games we cover. We are independent and our views of each game are honest. That is why you can trust us!
Learn, explore and find your next slots adventure with us!!